Thursday, September 25, 2008

Good and bad news (for me)

Bad (always first): I'm only half-way through my writing project. It's a free-verse type short story thing, and I have no idea where in the world it's going. The characters seem flat, and the plot seems unbelievable, even for a fantasyish type story. And I haven't had a peer conference yet, which I need to get done soon. Ick.

Good: the final draft is NOT due tomorrow (thank goodness!). Apparently, the rough draft should be finished by tomorrow, and that's optional, since it's really only if you want the teacher to go through it and edit/revise/give suggestions/etcetera. But I want my teacher to read it.

Another bad: I'm beginning to really hate my story. Just beginning to, though. And I'm only half-way...only half-way...ahhhh...seven chapters so far...it's too long for this writing project...my teacher's going to tell me to cut it in half...that will be impossible...I want to start over...no, I don't want to start over...I don't want to go through this again! Oh, but I have to. Three more times this year. Three more huge, impossible, draining writing workshop projects that I have to complete if I want to pass ELA.

Question of the quarter: am I going to live through this???

2 comments:

Q said...

Keep slogging through the mire until it's done, then cut it in half. It's surprising how much a story can lose and still be a story, really.

Anonymous said...

At least it isn't due yet! (Hey, why not focus on the good, right?)